This post is part of the Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by The Slacker Mom and co-hosted by Happiness Redefined and me, The Gnome’s Mom. This week’s topic is “Breastfeeding in The News or Celebrity Breastfeeders“ Scroll down to see more posts or even better, link up and join the fun!
I wasn’t going to write about that magazine cover. I mean, it got enough press as it is. But then Erin from The Slacker Mom had to go and make this week’s Breastfeeding Blog Hop topic “Breastfeeding in the News.” So, here we are.
I only ever see breastfeeding portrayed in the news two ways. It is either “the best” (New study shows breast milk can cure cancer!) or some awful form of child abuse (Moms nursing toddlers will ruin their lives!). It may not be said, but it is definitely implied. It wouldn’t really be “news” if breastfeeding was shown for what it really is.
Breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a child. From birth until whenever the mother-child pair is done with it.
I can assure you that the nursing child will eventually be done with nursing. That’s my story and, unless I meet a high school senior that is still nursing, I’m sticking to it. As long as the mother and child are okay with it continuing, it is nobody else’s business.
As for everyone* who says that after (insert inappropriate opinion here) months, or years, it is for the mother and not for the child: If you’ve ever parented a toddler, you will know that there is no way in hell you can force that child to do anything they don’t want to. Including nurse. It just doesn’t happen. And if you’ve ever nursed a toddler you will know that there is nothing fun about nursing a toddler 95% of the time.
I’ll admit that about 5% of the time, there is a sweet bond and I know that I will miss nursing The Gnome when we are done. The other 95% of the time? I can not wait for his squirmy worm, can’t sit still, distracted little self to WEAN! But he isn’t ready, and I’m not ready to rip the one thing that comforts him more than anything else away from him.
For the record? I have the magazine, and the article has absolutely nothing to do with breastfeeding. It’s a piece on Dr. Sears and attachment parenting. What do I think of the cover? It’s going to sell magazines, just like it was intended to do. But also, it’s kind of bad ass. I think I’m going to frame the cover and put it up in my shop.
Instead of being offended by the words, “Are You Mom Enough?” Just know that yes, you are. We all are.
So, what do you think about breastfeeding in the news? If you enjoy reading about The Gnome & his family, like us on Facebook, add us on Google+, and follow us on twitter! While you’re at it… check out our Networked Blogs box in the right sidebar!
*By everyone, I am including both my own mother and my mother in law. Both have been supportive of breastfeeding. Yet, both have made comments about breastfeeding after a certain age being more “for the mother.” VOMIT.